Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Taking a look at Pixar's latest

I don't try to use spoilers in my reviews, but I will post a spoiler alert just in case...

I had the pleasure of seeing "Cars 3" and "Coco" in the span of a couple of days, and I am glad to see Pixar return to what I hope is a consistent stream of good, original stories.

Let's start with "Cars 3." Most, not all, of us thought "Cars 2" was mediocre trash. I agree with that assessment, and I still believe it was Pixar's worst movie (although I still haven't seen "Brave").

"Cars 3" is what "Cars 2" should have been. "Cars 3" works as a true sequel to the first movie, and continues the story and character arcs, as opposed to the loud, obnoxious mess that was "Cars 2."

In this movie, Lightning McQueen finds himself outrun and outclassed by newer, more advanced race cars. McQueen is at a proverbial crossroads, having to put his massive ego in check and decide where he needs to go with his career.

Paul Newman's Hudson Hornet character gets a larger role here, bringing back some of the heart that made the franchise's first movie good. Also, Larry the Cable Guy's Tow Mater, who was nearly as annoying as Jar Jar Binks in "Cars 2," thankfully only gets a few lines in this outing, Unfortunately, that means a lot of the Radiator Springs gang, like Sally, Luigi and Flo get pushed to the sidelines as well.

Overall, this was an entertaining movie with a great premise that proves that this franchise has some gas left in the tank after all. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

This brings us to "Coco," Pixar's latest film, and the last original film from the animation studio for a while, because most of the upcoming movies are sequels, starting with "The Incredibles 2" in a few months.

"Coco" was, in a word, brilliant. I still have quite a few movies to see, but this was the best movie of 2017 that I have seen so far. It follows Miguel, who finds himself in the Land of the Dead.

I have nothing but good things to say about this movie. The message about the importance of family is spot-on, it shows the power and importance of music, and the animation is dazzling (as it should be for a $200 million production).

Also, I strongly recommend taking your kids (5 and up) to see it. First of all, for the messages above. Secondly, it exposes them to customs of other ethnic groups, particularly Dia Los Muertos. Finally, it may make death less scary to children, because it shows the dead happy, celebrating and having fun.

I am hoping that the Academy sees fit to make this a best picture nominee, but I am guessing it will be nominated for, and likely win in the best animated film category.

Either way, this is a great movie for viewers of all ages. 

No comments: