Tuesday, June 17, 2008

AFI's 10 top 10

Yet another AFI show that ranks movies has aired. Since it's summertime, there's nothing on TV, and I had nothing else to do, I checked it out.

This time around, they took 10 genres such as sci-fi, westerns, fantasy, animation, mysteries, and epics, and ranked the top ten movies in each genre.

I haven't seen a lot of the older movies on the list, but I agreed with most of the rankings. I was pleasantly surprised to see many of my personal favorites on the list such as "Back to the Future," "A Few Good Men," "Toy Story," "North by Northwest," and even "Caddyshack." Still, I have a few problems.

First, "Animation" is one of the genres in which movies are ranked. To quote "The Incredibles" director Brad Bird, animation is not a genre, it is a medium. Within the medium of animation, there are musicals, fantasies, action films, and comedies. So I oppose to animation even being classified as a genre. 

While we're at it, where are "The Incredibles" and "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut?" (okay, maybe I am stretching it with that second one).

My biggest bones to pick were in the Sci-Fi category. First of all, "Star Wars Episode IV" was ranked at #2. I have no problem with the fact that it's recognized because it's one of the greatest movies ever made. However, I am not sure about the category. I had a great discussion with my friend Kevin, and we both agreed that "Star Wars" is not sci-fi, but it is fantasy. Technology is rarely ever mentioned in any of the six Star Wars movies- they are all about plot, characters and the conflict between good and evil. Although the setting of "Star Wars" is that of a space adventure, the overriding themes are purely fantasy.

Finally, I don't agree with "2001" as the #1 sci-fi film. "2001" was a very influential movie, and the visuals were ahead of their time, but the movie was about 45 minutes too long, and doesn't even become interesting until about the halfway point. I know I sound like a broken record, but I would have put Blade Runner (ranked #6) as the top sci-fi movie.

I would love to hear other opinions on the lists. Sorry, I can't provide a link, but AFI wants your e-mail address before you get to view their lists.

2 comments:

Maqam said...

I also think it was kind of dumb to have courtroom drama as a genre and not action. Last time I checked, there were a lot more action movies than courtroom dramas. How about comedies too? I will say the epic category was pretty sweet. I am anxiously awaiting Lawrence of Arabia on Blu-Ray. Man, that'll be sweet.

Mr. Tucker said...

I think they didn't have action movies or comedies because the AFI already did lists on the 100 best action movies and 100 best comedies.