Saturday, June 28, 2008

More DVD reviews...

OK, let's get this out of the way. I watched "P.S., I Love You" with my wife because she went to the theater to see "Ironman" with me. It was so bad, I don't want to talk about it. By the way, Jaci (my wife) loved Ironman, and wants to know when it's out on DVD so we can own it.

On the subject of bad movies, skip "Be Kind Rewind." It comes from the brain of Michael Gondry, who wrote "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Stranger Than Fiction," both bizarre, but original and entertaining movies. The movie has a premise that could really have worked well, but was executed poorly, and the screenplay is an absolute mess. Gondry aims for more of an outright comedy, but most of the jokes aren't funny, Jack Black's character is so dumb and makes no sense, and every character and situation is so out of whack, it had me scratching my head rather than laughing. Again, Gondry tries to do the whole bizarre thing in an attempt to be original, but it comes off as being annoying. The movie's only funny moments are when they re-create the films that are erased, and use amusing "special effects" to re-create movies like "Ghostbusters" and "2001: A Space Odyssey." It reminded me a bit of the Turkish versions of movies like "The Wizard of Oz" and "Star Wars" where cheap effects like wooden lightsabers are used. Later in the movie, there was something about the people of Passaic, N.J. working together as a community to make a movie about how Fats Waller was born and raised there, even though he probably never set foot in the town his entire life. I finally hit the stop button about 1 hour and 10 minutes into the movie.

What's next? A movie about how Frank Sinatra was supposedly born and raised in Hoboken, N.J.?, Yeah, right! 

On a happier note, I spent $7.50 of my hard-earned money on a DVD containing both "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "Dude, Where's my Car." If you can think of a better example of top-quality entertainment for so little money, let me know.


1 comment:

Maqam said...

P.S. I Love You? You make me sick.

Sucks about Be Kind Rewind. It looked really creative and quirky. Oh well, I guess that's going off the queue.

I sat in the lobby of the Neshaminy AMC 24 yesterday and watched some really interesting and disgusting people. That was cheaper than $7.50. Seriously, I saw a 300 pound old guy wearing tight shorts and a wife beater. And you know what the kicker was? His wife had a black eye! No joking....