Friday, August 22, 2008

DVD review: "21" busts

It seemed like a great premise- Smart college students go to Vegas to count cards and get rich. It was even based on a true story. However, the screenplay uses every cliche in the book, the characters are one-dimensional, and you knew how every scene was going to play out within the first few seconds. My wife and I had the whole movie figured out at the 35-minute mark. My wife quit watching at that point, and I made it through the whole thing. The movie wasn't quite unwatchable, but it was a major disappointment. 

Still, I'd like to read the book, written by one of the former MIT students who counted cards. Incidentally, the book was written by an Asian, but the main character in the movie was total whitebread. Gee, I wonder why...

No comments: