Wednesday, July 16, 2008

DVD reviews

It's been a while since I posted a DVD review, because my wife and I are in the process of watching every episode of "Buffy," my favorite TV show ever. 

Anyway, I managed to fit in "The Spiderwick Chronicles." It seems like, after the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films, fantasy films are a dime a dozen. Still, "Spiderwick" qualifies as decent entertainment, despite the presence of Nick Nolte. The concept is derivative but engaging, the acting and the characters are solid (yes, that was Seth Rogen doing a voice over), and the special effects were well-done.

The movie does a good job appealing to kids and adults. It doesn't seem bloated or overdone (ahem.. Golden Compass), and it is an easy watch that goes by in a quick 90 minutes. They certainly didn't re-invent the wheel with this movie, but this was surprisingly enjoyable and worth watching.

No comments: