Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Williamsburg live blog day 2

Today we took on Busch Gardens Europe. First of all, this park is themed and landscaped beautifully. This is the nicest looking park I have ever seen outside of Disney World. 

Despite my brother's skepticism that I could hack it, I decided to face my fear of coasters (and heights) early in the day, and our first ride was the legendary Loch Ness Monster. When it was built 30 years ago, it was the tallest rollercoaster in the world. So, the wait was pretty long, they added a train right before we got on, which built the suspense even more. Then, we finally got on, went up the long chain lift, and down we go. I was okay after the initial drop. Then another big drop, then the first of two loops. I was the most frightened of the loops, but they were the best part of the ride. Then we went into a tunnel, and it was pitch black as we spiraled downward. Then we climbed a second chain lift and entered the second loop. Because I was so scared, the adrenaline rush during and after the ride made it all the more fun. Soon, I will have a picture up here that was taken just after the first loop. The look on my face is pure fear. If you ever wanted to see what my tonsils look like, now is your chance.

Next, it was Escape from Pompeii, A shoot-the-chutes ride. We went up, into the dark area where there was some cool pyrotechnics, then the big drop and the splash. 

Then, while my nieces were getting their caricatures done, My father-in-law and I braved Apollo's Chariot, The tallest coaster in the park. The cars were interesting in that there was only one lap restraint, and your feet didn't touch the floor to make the most of the coaster's crazy airtime. The chain lift went up, up, up, then there was the massive 210-foot first drop, another hill, another huge drop, up again, then down on a curve as we descended toward the lake. The airtime on this coaster is impressive. Then we went up a helix, then there was a series of great airtime hills, an intense curve as the coaster passed under itself, and some great hidden drops that seem to come out of nowhere. Whew. Luckily, I didn't suffer the same fate as Fabio, who had an unfortunate encounter with a bird during the coaster's maiden voyage.

Then it was on to the Roman Rapids. The wait was long for what was a fun, but typical rapids ride with good theming.

Then, it was time for a second ride on AC. Once again, very exhilarating.

After a decent lunch in fake Italy, and a stage show that was even cheesier than my chicken Parmesan, it was on to fake Germany. 

We hit the Big Bad Wolf, which is a suspended (not inverted) coaster. This made for a wild ride. After a short chain lift, you dropped into a German village, barely missing the buildings. Then it was up a longer chain lift, followed by the big drop towards the fake Rhine River and a sharp turn. Another great ride.

Our next big ride was the Curse of Darkastle. It was a 3-D dark ride with elements of a motion simulator. There was a long wait, but part of it was mercifully air conditioned. The ride itself was a lot of fun. It was very similar to the Spider-Man ride in Universal, but not quite as good. Unfortunately, My 4-year-old niece was scared and started crying.

It was 98 degrees outside, and, at this point, the 4-year-old was out of gas and it was already 5:00, so we called it a day. We got to see some cool animal exhibits on the way out, and I was almost ready to strangle a fellow tourist who didn't listen to the large signs and fed a wolf park food, which could completely mess up its digestive system.

Anyway, we may or may not get back there on Friday, and I may or may not ride the Alpengeist. I don't know if I am ready for a 195-foot tall inverted coaster with 6 inversions. I might ride a less-intense one like the Great Bear at Hersheypark first. 

Then it was dinner in the hotel (long wait, good food), and a quick dip in the pool. Tomorrow, we hit Water Country USA and cool off. 

1 comment:

Maqam said...

I am very proud of you, big brother. If you go to Hershey, be sure to tell us! I guess you can't babysit Ben while we ride the coasters anymore...

Now we gotta get you on Aerosmith's Rockin Rollercoaster and Everest. SWEET!