Sunday, July 30, 2017

Retro movie review: Alive

So, thanks to my steroids, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, anywhere from 3:00 to 6:00 in the morning. As much as I love my wife and kids, it is good to have this alone time where I can watch stuff that I want to watch.

One morning, it was the movie "Alive," which is about the crash of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 570, which was carrying a rugby team over the Andes Mountains.

First of all, this was probably the most realistic depiction of a plane crash I have ever seen. Also, the movie does a very good job of showing how people act when they are in shock.

This movie only received 3 out of 5 stars on Netflix. Probably because all of the survivors ate human flesh in order to live. The three people who made it to civilization after walking for several days had backpacks full of human flesh. However, they made it, and although 29 people died, 16 survived.

Members of the team went to see a Catholic priest after the ordeal. The priest told them that, in this case, cannibalism was okay because it was a lesser sin than suicide, which is the worst sin you can possibly commit as a Catholic.

Overall, I think this was a very well-directed and acted film.

My only criticism is that they "whitewashed" some of the Latino characters, using actors like Ethan Hawke and other Caucasians.

No comments: